Thursday 31 October 2013

Happy Hallowe'en!

The halls of Steveston-London are full of crazy characters and scary ghouls today!  Kudos to all of you who put together the imagination and the effort to create a costume.  I really had no idea what to wear myself this year.  My creativity seemed to have reached a stop sign.  My son decided to go as the "headless horseman" and that took all my ingenuity!  It turned out really well in the end.  He is all in black, with his old Dracula cape from last year and used his hockey shoulder pads to build up his body and hide part of his head.  We made a neck stump out of an old Easter basket and covered it with bandages and fake blood -- the neck stump fits over his head.  He was pretty happy with it in the end, although he doubted me as we put it together.

I decided to be Elsa Lanchester's "Bride of Frankenstein".  I looked at her online and it seemed like something I could do.  Of course, I have an advantage, because I have the whole prop room at my disposal.  I picked out a nasty old dress and some white fabric for her outfit.  The hair and makeup is always the part that impresses people, but it is very easy to do.  I sprayed my hair with that temporary hair colour and backcombed it within an inch of its life.  Then I applied the two white streaks at my temple.  I used clown white for my face, and gave myself the shocking eyebrows and the stitches at my neck and there you have it!

The English department came up with a great theme -- dumb ways to die.  Mr. Price is a guy who did his own electrical installation in his house (always hire a skilled tradesperson!), Ms. Matsuzaki sold both her kidneys on Craig's List, and Ms. Mah dressed up as a moose in hunting season!  It's fun to walk around the school today and see what people thought of for costumes.  Some are really amazing!

If you go out trick-or-treating tonight, be extra careful.  Don't get involved in any crazy fireworks play.  They are super dangerous.  And watch for cars!  Some people are in such a hurry, they don't really look to see if there are people trying to cross the street -- you have to watch out for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment