Wednesday 24 March 2021

Career Fair on CBC Radio this week

 Wondering what working for a living is like?  Interested in a variety of careers and want some inside information?  CBC Radio is hosting career fairs this week.  I'm afraid I didn't know that yesterday was the day for asking about jobs in the arts, but you can listen to previous shows on the CBC website.

Tune in to the BC Today Career Fair at 12:30 p.m.March 22-26, on CBC Radio One or online at cbc.ca/listen and explore the many options that await you.  If you want to listen to the Arts instalment (unfortunately, you won't be able to call in with questions), they are available on cbc.ca/listen.  Today's show focuses on careers revolving around the environment, tomorrow's on trades and technical careers and on Friday, they will discuss the future of work itself.

From my perspective, there is nothing more sustaining than having a job that you love.  Thoreau said that the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation -- a person makes a career choice and then gets responsibilities and can't picture themselves quitting their job because they need the income.  I am so lucky to have stumbled into teaching after a long time of doing all sorts of jobs I didn't like.  Of course, I didn't love teaching at the start -- it was really hard and I felt like I was no good at it and that I would never figure out how to manage all of the things I was expected to do.  It still presents lots of challenges and I am still learning (which is part of the fun) but I feel like it's a worthwhile pursuit and I enjoy the day to day work in the theatre and of course, I think that there is nothing more exciting that to be in the theatre and solving problems and figuring out what works and doesn't work.  I can't imagine that it will ever "get old"!  (Although I will . . . at some point!) 

I hope you're enjoying your spring break -- make the most of your time off!




No comments:

Post a Comment