Thursday 18 September 2014

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so

We voted 86% to accept the deal and so we will be back in school on Monday.  We talked about it on the picket line and found out more about what was in the fine print of the deal, and although it is not what we had hoped for, it isn't as bad as it could have been either.  The courts have decided that we teachers have the right to bargain over class size and composition, and so after the government's appeal is heard (which argues that we do not have that right) and hopefully lost, we will be able to re-enter negotiations and deal with that issue, which is very important to us.

And we will get back to our jobs and our classrooms and figuring out what we will do day to day and kids will fill the halls and soon it'll feel like we've never been gone!  Right now, it's like I've forgotten everything and I wonder how I will manage, but I've done it for many years and I think I'll figure it out.

I must say I was very proud of the teachers at my school.  They were very committed and determined on the picket line and for the most part, they were positive and did their best to keep a good attitude in what was a very difficult and scary time.  I appreciated everyone's contribution to our efforts and I hope we can keep the feeling of being engaged together in good work when we return to class.  Sometimes it feels good to go through these terrible times with other people who share your goals and your struggles.  At least, if you come out relatively unscathed at the end.

We've been watching this series on the Roosevelts on PBS.  It is fascinating.  I didn't realize that Teddy Roosevelt was such a thoughtful and forward-looking president -- I always remember the guy in "Arsenic and Old Lace"  who imagined he was Teddy Roosevelt and think of him, instead of the actual person, and then I remember how Teddy was a big hunter, which I don't like.  Of course, Franklin and Eleanor were an extraordinary couple and I know their politics are closer to mine, and it is inspiring to see how they tried to bring the United States out of the Depression with public works and social security and progressive labour laws.  It's one of those Ken Burns films which are strangely compelling, with the camera panning over still pictures and actors reading the speeches of the people.  Meryl Streep is playing Eleanor. 

If this is disjointed, it's no wonder.  William is talking non-stop about five feet away and although I've shushed him several times, he can't seem to shush!

No comments:

Post a Comment