Saturday 16 May 2015

O, had I but followed the arts!

"Twelfth Night" closed last night.  It was lovely and I am so proud and grateful for everyone who performed in it, who worked backstage or in the booth (or both), for the people on staff who helped us, for Mr. Price and Ms. Levin for their hard work and devotion, to my family who has to hold the fort when I'm away for long nights, and preoccupied with thoughts of the show and to all the fine folks who came and saw it.

Watching it last night made me think how remarkable it is that 21st century teenagers are willing to spend countless hours learning their lines and thinking about their characters and practicing after school and at lunch and even taking it on the chin (or the knees) for the glory of Shakespeare and theatre and art in general.  Congratulations to all of you for bringing this charming and lovely show to life.  It truly was an extraordinary romp!  My own kids loved it and wished they had a drama program like ours at their schools.  I do, too.  I know I have a bias, but I think drama is so important in so many ways -- it helps with things like confidence and teamwork and concentration and creativity and risk-taking (in a positive way) and with social skills and learning and empathy and . . . well, I could go on forever, but I won't.

It was so great to see so many "old kids" there, too, and thanks to all of you for the memories and for coming back to see us!  You all look so sophisticated and cool, and I am proud of you and gratified that you take time out of your busy lives to remember Steveston-London, our little band of players and our efforts to further the cause of theatre in the world.

And now, I feel a little blue because it's over and a little relieved because it's over!  I am thinking about shows we could do next year and I have a few ideas, but I haven't made any decisions.  If you want to suggest something (not a movie or a tv show, though -- a PLAY), let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment