Sunday 2 October 2016

Early to rise

There are benefits to getting up early in the morning.  I didn't want to get up this morning at 6:55, but I have to walk Daisy AS SOON AS I GET UP (her capitals) and Will had soccer pictures at 9, so up I got.  We walked down to the park as we always do on the weekend, and what a sky!  When we started out, it was brilliant red and as we went along, it turned golden and then blue with pinky-peach clouds.  The tide was in and the water was like glass and the trees are turning colours and it was really lovely.

Yesterday, Ant and I joined the Lower Mainland Green Team to pull out invasive ivy in Rocky Point Park.  It was a good day.  We worked hard but everyone was in good spirits and we helped the trees.  It felt good to peel off that sneaky ivy from a tree trunk and imagine the tree breathing a sigh of relief.  Ivy can kill a tree within ten years.

I am reading this mystery series by Louise Penny featuring a detective with the Quebec Surete (I can't get the right accents -- I hope you know what I mean) called Armand Gamache.  I discovered it by listening to one of her books in the car -- The Beautiful Mystery -- about a murder in a monastery.  I am now reading the first book in the series -- Still Life.  In the intro, she thanks a whole gamut of people -- friends, family, book club members, her editors, other writers.  I was reading it and thinking, "gee, she has a lot of friends" and feeling a bit envious.  Then at the end of the intro, she says, "I went through a period in my life when I had no friends, when the phone never rang, when I thought I would die from loneliness.  I know that the real blessing here isn't that I have a book published, but that I have so many people to thank".  It's like she read my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment