Saturday 31 August 2019

our last hurrah!

Well, we are down to a long weekend before we return to our duties at Steveston-London!  I enjoy school (evidenced by the fact that I have been in school most of my life!) but I always would like two more weeks of vacation.  It is the glory of "unstructured time" -- you rule yourself completely and don't have to be anywhere at a certain time or do anything by a certain date.  I read an article in the Guardian newspaper about this British person going to South America to work and how the attitude to time is very different in South America.  Punctuality is not such a big deal.  If they get busy with something and have to finish it or whatever, they might be late for the next appointment but it isn't a big deal.  I know we have been told that if you are chronically late, it shows contempt for the person you're meeting or the task in which you should be engaged, but I don't think that's necessarily true.  I think students who come late to class in the morning are sometimes dealing with sleep deprivation (sound like you?)  I know that science says that kids your age are dealing with that shift in their circadian rhythms (your natural sleep-awake cycle that revolves around a 24 hour period), and that you literally can't go to sleep at 10 and can't wake up at 7.  Of course, my circadian rhythm is that I wake up at about 5:30 a.m. (ruled by Daisy, of course) and then am completely bagged by 9 p.m.

Anyhow, I have had a busy month, with my sister and brother-in-law here for the last two weeks.  We were very busy and that was great, but it did make the time fly by.  We saw "Coriolanus" at Bard on the Beach and I thought it was very well done.  They had a woman play Coriolanus (called Gaius Marcius) (Moya O'Connell) and she was very powerful and other cast members stood out as well:  Praneet Akilla (Brutus), Craig Erickson (Sicinius), Colleen Wheeler (Volumnia) and Sara Vickruck (Lieutenant for the Volsces, who sang and played the guitar as well -- very well!)  It was very physical and the set (a series of projections on moveable panels) worked really well and I liked the music and the mob characters (who are not listed in the cast, so I can't tell you who they were, but they were all terrific, especially one woman, who completely inhabited her small but important role).  It is a pretty bleak story, but one that is relevant for the times.






Anyway, try to enjoy these last few days of freedom before Tuesday.  The weather is iffy, but don't let that stop you.  I went to the beach yesterday in the rain and it was really nice!  People were there anyway, barbecuing and paddle-boarding but it was quiet and the little birds were out and I took some deep breaths and told myself that I am a very lucky woman and I believed it, too!

This is the last day for the historical vignettes in Steveston.  If you haven't seen them, you have two shows left!  They run at 1 and 3 this afternoon.  I will be at the one at 3.  They depart from the museum on Moncton Street and the show takes an hour and the actors are great and the material is really interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment