Thursday 16 September 2021

It's Always Something!

 English 11:

The print function on the school's photocopiers isn't working so I haven't been able to print the questions I want you to think about for the short story, "The Lottery".  I hope you enjoyed reading it.  I remember when I first read it in high school, I really enjoyed it.  I loved how it shifted from this idyllic little village to the shocking conclusion!

Here are the questions:

“The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson

 This story was first published in the New Yorker magazine in 1948.  The New Yorker “received a torrent of letters”, the most it had ever received for a work of fiction.

 Jackson talked about the response in a lecture:  One of the most terrifying aspects of publishing stories and books is the realization that they are going to be read, and read by strangers. I had never fully realized this before, although I had of course in my imagination dwelt lovingly upon the thought of the millions and millions of people who were going to be uplifted and enriched and delighted by the stories I wrote. It had simply never occurred to me that these millions and millions of people might be so far from being uplifted that they would sit down and write me letters I was downright scared to open; of the three-hundred-odd letters that I received that summer I can count only thirteen that spoke kindly to me, and they were mostly from friends. Even my mother scolded me: "Dad and I did not care at all for your story in The New Yorker", she wrote sternly; "it does seem, dear, that this gloomy kind of story is what all you young people think about these days. Why don't you write something to cheer people up?"

 Are young people still thinking about “gloomy kind[s] of [stories]”?

 Most people who wrote were angry and outraged.   What about the story bothered them, in your opinion?  Did you find it shocking?  Did you expect the ending?  What foreshadowed the ending?

 What is a scapegoat?  Explain how that idea relates to the story.

 Do you adhere to any traditions?  Do you know why you might follow those traditions?  Do you know the meaning of the traditions you and your family observe?  Write about one with which you are familiar.   (I always have a Christmas tree, for example.  Pagan traditions often used evergreens as decorations for the winter solstice; the branches were symbols of life going on even in winter.  The use of a Christmas tree to celebrate Christmas was started in Germany.)

 What is ironic about the story?

Senior Drama:

We can't print stuff, so here is a short scene I want you to grapple with!

Scary scene:

 Melissa:  Trevor, why do your pants look so stupid?

 Trevor:  (silence)

 Melissa:  Trevor, are you ignoring me?

 Trevor:  No.

 Melissa:  Then answer my question.

 Trevor:  I didn’t hear it.

 Melissa:  That’s your problem.  You NEVER listen.  You’re a subhuman.

 Trevor:  You don’t need to tell me that.

 

 Trevor:  I’m having a Hallowe’en party.  Want to come?

 Melissa:  What are YOU having a party for?

 Trevor:  I think it’ll be fun.  I’m trying to change my spots.

 Melissa:  What are you talking about?  You’re so weird.

 Trevor:  They say a leopard can’t change its spots.  It can.

 Melissa:  Okay, then.  But why would you think I’d come to your lame party?

 Trevor:  Aren’t you curious?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment