Saturday 21 September 2013

I, admiring of YOUR qualities!

Thanks to everyone who auditioned for the play.  You have made it so difficult for me to cast it, but that's a good thing for me, of course, because I have what is called an "embarrassment of riches" (too much of a good thing).  My selection process includes a consideration of your grade level -- if a student has been in the Drama Club for five years and had been tried and true, always prepared, consistently at rehearsals, improving as we work, that person will very likely get a big part.  If you are in the younger grades, you have to expect that you will get a smaller part, but remember that a good actor can make a small part really shine.  And of course, this year, we have so many wonderful actors from grade 11 and 12, they've made it hard for me to choose among them!

Years ago, I went to Stratford, Ontario, to see "Midsummer Night's Dream".  It was terrific.  If you ever get a chance to go there, take it.   The theatre is so lovely and you're guaranteed to see something interesting and challenging and thought-provoking.  Anyway, the actor playing "Snout" has very few lines.  You would think it was a part to throw away, not to "tear a cat in", but the actor who played Snout was so focused and so in character and so charming that you really loved him and watched him when he was onstage.  You wanted to know how he felt about everything.  He wasn't DOING anything, not upstaging anyone; he was just living in his role.  And I have remembered his performance above everything else in that wonderful production.  Isn't that what all of us want as actors?

Rest assured, I will do my very best to give you all a chance to be on stage, but then you must reciprocate by being committed to the play. It is going to be a huge challenge for all of us, but if we pull together, we'll end up with something magical, I know.  The experienced kids know that there are always chances to be promoted.  If somebody doesn't show up, I'll look around the theatre and say, "Hey, you in the green, want to play Hamlet?"  Then you stammer, "we. . .we. . . well, okay!" and then the next thing you know, you're on Broadway!  Thanking me for your Tony award!

I will post the cast list on the Drama Bulletin board on Monday morning.  Then at lunch, we'll get together in the theatre to talk about schedules.  Please have a written schedule of your own ready for Rachel (who is going to stage manage the play).  You should write out when you CANNOT come to rehearsal.  Bring a PENCIL to rehearsals to write down blocking and ideas you have about your character or how to say your lines.

And now, "take pains, be perfect, adieu"!  (I can't help quoting the play.)

1 comment: