Friday 13 September 2013

Golden lads and girls all must/As chimney sweepers, come to dust.

Many of you know I attended a funeral this week.  We lost one of my husband's oldest friends and although the ceremony was comforting and it was good for all of us to get together and remember him, I think we will all be very sad for a while.  My husband and Colin had been friends since they were about 11 years old (more than forty years!) and they went to school together, played sports together, travelled together, worked together (Colin got my husband his first job!), acted as best man for each other at their weddings, and were there for each other in sickness and in health.  It isn't easy to keep a friendship going over such a long period of time.  I only have one friend from my childhood and I treasure our relationship because she is one of the only people who remembers my parents and what I was like as a little girl and our home town and all of our shared experiences.  As with any relationship, "it takes two to tango".  You both have to make an effort.  I hope all of you get to experience a friendship like the two I've mentioned here.  It is a great consolation to have someone who really knows you and accepts you "warts and all".  Even though it is sad to have to say goodbye, it is "better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all".

Have a great weekend.  It is supposed to be summery weather until late Sunday -- perhaps that will be the official beginning of fall.

We are such stuff as dreams are made on,
And our little life is rounded with a sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment