Sunday 31 August 2014

Unions, the people who brought you weekends!

Here is a copy of the letter I wrote to Christy Clark, Peter Fassbinder and my MLA, Linda Reimer:

All right, this is ridiculous.  You and your government have had over a year to reach some sort of labour peace with the teachers and you seem to have no idea how to get past the impasse that you have created.  Teachers have been willing to change their salary demands and have made a number of proposals to solve the problems your government created with regard to class size and composition and you have done nothing.

It appears that public schools will not open as they should on September 2.  Of course, that doesn't concern you, Ms. Clark, since your son will still be able to attend his private school without interruption.  Aren't you ashamed?  If you aren't, you should be.  One of the most important roles of government is to provide services to its citizenry.  In this respect, you have clearly dropped the ball.  If you can't do your jobs, perhaps you should all consider standing aside and letting a more capable group take over.

I am a teacher and a parent.  You have offered to provide me with forty dollars a day to deal with my 12 year old son's needs while you stand helplessly by and let his school remain closed.  I also have a 15 year old son, but you appear to be unconcerned about his educational needs.  You have offered me nothing as a teacher to demonstrate that you value and understand the important work I do in my classroom, my school and my community.  Shame on you all.

*********************
 As you can imagine, I'm feeling very apprehensive and defeated by the lack of progress at the bargaining table.  It feels like this situation will never get solved.  Obviously, something will eventually happen and schools will open again and we will be back in our classrooms, but when and what will that look like?

If you want to observe Labour Day in an appropriate way, perhaps a letter to your MLA might inspire him or her to see what can be done to find a solution to this nightmarish situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment