Sunday 30 August 2015

Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks!

How many of you lost power yesterday because of the wind storm?  I don't think we appreciate how powerful natural forces are until we come face to face with them in something like that storm.  We dodged the bullet in Port Moody and only lost power for a minute or so.  One of our neighbours trees came down and a huge branch was blown off one of the old trees that surround the elementary school.  I always feel badly when I see a tree blown down.  They can't escape the storm and have to endure it somehow and of course, sometimes they can't.

We spent a few days over on the Island.  A friend reminded me of Parksville and I recalled the broad expanse of beach and the cute little touristy town and thought "that's a good spot to spend a few relaxing days" and so off we went.  We stayed in Nanaimo our first night and trekked over to Newcastle Island, which we hope to camp at next summer.  It is close to the world, but not of it and we beachcombed and explored the strange formations etched in the rock by the surf.

Then we took the short jaunt over to Parksville.  Our hotel was really nice and Ant said he could live in it very enthusiastically.  It had a full kitchen and a nice bedroom for me and a balcony with a barbecue and a little peekaboo view of the ocean and a fireplace.  I'm up earlier than the boys, of course, and the mornings were cool, so I just got my book (one of Anne Perry's Victorian mysteries called Blind Justice, quite entertaining) and curled up by the fire and drank my coffee and felt like a queen, a bit.

We had two highlights to our trip (besides the relaxing and general enjoyment of being away and not being able to do any of the duties and responsibilities that press on us when we're home).  We went to the World Parrot Refuge where they have hundreds of birds who were once pets but were surrendered to the Refuge.  Birds are very difficult pets -- I know because I had Orlando, a grey cockatiel, for thirty years.  I did not want a bird as a pet -- I don't think it's fair to keep an animal trapped in your house when he could be flying -- but my old boyfriend wanted one and got him when I was home for Christmas and when we parted ways, he asked me to take Orlando and I did -- we were good buddies and I did not clip his wings ever, because I thought that was wrong, so he did fly around the house (and yes, sometimes he pooped) and I believe that's why he lived so long and was so strong and healthy for so long.  But I digress!  Parrots and cockatoos are extremely intelligent and have not been domesticated (they are still basically wild - only one or two generations from the wild).  They need a lot of attention and exercise and activity and of course, most people don't appreciate that and they buy one (which contributes to the disgusting pet trade which steals birds from their wild lives and then breeds them or traps them as a pet -- apparently only 20% of the birds who are captured for the pet trade survive the trip to become a pet) and then realize they can't care for it properly and give it to someone else or return it to the pet store or most terribly, let it go, or wisely, take it to the World Parrot Refuge.  There the birds are released into huge aviaries where they can fly and be with other parrots or cockatoos and live a more natural life.  There are lots of things for them to do -- toys to play with and little cubby holes for them to explore and people like us to interact with -- we loved all the birds we encountered (which is one problem for the refuge, because you realize how smart and charming the birds are and think you'd like to take one home, but of course, that's not allowed).  We met lots of very appealing characters -- sweet little Rosie who waves (she's a green parrot with a rosy collar) and Angel, a cockatoo, and a couple of blue parrots who reminded us of the grumpy old men Muppets -- they were hanging out on their feeding station enjoying a variety of fruit and when we walked by they lunged forward furiously -- hoping to bite us we think, and a funny little fellow we're calling "Grabby" who took your hand in his claw and then very gently moved his claw up your arm to get to your sleeve and then held on for dear life!  Many of the birds can talk and you realize they learned that in their life as a pet.  It was very hard to leave the Parrot Refuge because the birds were all beautiful and sweet and curious, but of course, they are better off there and MUCH better off to be left where nature intended for them to live.  If you are interested, you can visit their website and they take donations, too.  It is certainly a good cause.

Another memorable event for us was our trip to the Horne Lake Caves.  We drove down a very dusty road along a beautiful lake for about 20 kilometres in order to arrive at the Horne Lake Cave Park.  William was nervous about going into a cave but I was very blasé.  When the guide asked if any of us had been in a cave before, I said, "no, but we've been in a mine".

He was polite, but said a cave was quite different.  He wasn't kidding!

We had to hike quite a distance to get to the cave and we were given helmets with lamps on them and told to wear warm clothing (it's about 8 degrees in the cave) and gloves to wear inside the cave.  The hike was very pleasant, through beautiful trees that whispered in the breeze.  The guide told us about how caves form and what kinds of things we might see inside the cave.  (No bats, which is a bit of a disappointment, since I'm very fond of bats.)  The formations of the calcite, which take thousands of years to form.  We got quite warm on the hike and finally found ourselves at the entrance to the cave. Then I realized why William was apprehensive because I felt really scared.  It was this dark Styxian crack in the earth and there was a metal ladder leading down into the darkness.  This was nothing like a mine which is a very human and civilized construction.  This was wilderness with a vengeance!  But I don't like to seem timid in front of the boys, so I did not voice my fear.  I swallowed it and we descended into the cave.  Of course, it was very beautiful inside -- the calcite is white and glistens in the light of your headlamp -- there are shapes like drapes flowing over the rock and other shapes like straws and a huge "ice cream cone" lump.  The water glistens, too, and looks like flecks of gold.  We had to slide into the cave on our bums (and I wondered how we would ever get out) and if you thought too much about how much weight was over your head, it was very freaky.  The cave "floor" didn't exist -- there were round slippery rocks everywhere and it was hard to navigate because you had to bend your head down to light your way and then you weren't looking where you were going!  We made our way forward for about five minutes (doesn't sound like a long time, but when you're about a second away from panic or full blown claustrophobia, it is a lifetime!) and then we were truly inside the cave.  The guide told us we were going to turn off our head lamps and be quiet in order to experience the cave fully.  We did and the darkness was a thick presence -- I opened my eyes as wide as I could, but could see nothing -- it was just thick blackness in my face.  The guide said your eyes would never "get used" to it because there is NO light.  It was also really quiet -- no wind whispering in the trees, no birds, no sounds at all.  It was a completely alien and mysterious environment.  It is strange to think of all the beautiful formations that are in darkness for most of the time.  Anyway, we made our way out of the cave and I, for one, was elated to rejoin the world I know.  The boys were very pumped up and said they would like to come back next year and go in further.  I told them I would not be able to go on that trip, but I was certainly glad they enjoyed it.

It was lovely to get away for a few days and then come back with a week before we must return to our duties.  I hope you all enjoy your week and look forward to seeing you "back in the saddle" on September 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment