Sunday 13 March 2016

This is the true joy of life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

George Bernard Shaw said that.  He also said, "Few people think more than two or three times a year.  I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week."  He was a very smart guy (as is evidenced by the amount of thinking he did) and although he had lots of problems (read his biography) as we all do, he had a good sense of humour and wrote a number of really good plays.  "Arms and the Man" is a particular favourite of mine.

I have been reading a book called The Year of Lear about the year in which Shakespeare wrote "King Lear" (and also "Macbeth" and "Antony and Cleopatra"!!)  It was a very interesting book, with lots of insight into the court of King James (of the Bible fame) and the Gunpowder Plot (the reason British people celebrate Guy Fawkes Day on November 5) and what might have been going on in Shakespeare's head while he was writing three of the greatest plays in the English language.  The author, James Shapiro, does not subscribe to the idiotic theory that Shakespeare didn't actually write Shakespeare's plays.  I do not see how anyone (and lots of otherwise intelligent people think this) can actually believe that anyone else was responsible for Shakespeare's work.  No one doubted it while he was alive -- there is lots of evidence that it was accepted that he was writing them.  People like Ben Jonson knew him and didn't think he was too stupid to write them.  I think it's people who don't understand the imagination (even though people like Mark Twain should understand it) who are some of the deniers.

I went to the Senior Boys' Basketball game last night.  Yes, me, the enemy of basketball!  (I am just joking when I say that.  I am sometimes frustrated because it gets in the way of rehearsal time, but I understand that it's a great game, very fast and exciting, and that some people love it, which is fine with me.  I'm sure basketball is relieved to hear that!)  It was a very exciting game and the boys were terrific and it is just bad luck that they lost and the other team won.  The boys have had a great season and I hope that, in time, they will realize that.  Having never played any sports with any skill at all, I can only imagine how devastating it must be to lose such a hard fought game, especially when you are as determined and skillful as our boys demonstrated themselves to be, but being second in the entire province is an outstanding achievement and I was very proud of how the boys strived to the end and never stopped thinking and trying to do their best.  Congratulations to them for their amazing  season and a great showing in this tournament.  They should be very proud of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment