Thursday 13 September 2018

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune




This week's journal is about metaphor, which is such an important aspect of the theatre.  On stage, everything means something.  Everything is significant.  Most of you have heard me say that if there is a chair centerstage in your play, I will be looking at it and wondering what it means.  If no one sits in it, then I am all the more mesmerized by it.

Drama 9/10:  Here is a quote I used from an earlier blog.  William Styron, a great American novelist, wrote it, referring to his battle with depression:

Everyone must keep up the struggle, for it is always likely that you will win the battle and nearly a certainty you will win the war.

Okay, first question is simply -- what metaphor is he using?  We all face struggles in our lives -- what's one of yours?   One of mine is trying to set a good example for my sons.  What sort of metaphor could you use to shed some light on your struggle?  I might use a mask -- because sometimes, I feel one way but because of my desire to set a good example, I pretend that I feel a different way (so if I feel road rage and my sons are in the car, I act more patient than I feel).  Explain your metaphor.  Here's my explanation -- sometimes, I feel like I'm wearing a mask.  I don't want my sons to see the real me, because sometimes, I don't think "the real me" will be a positive example for them.  So if I feel frightened, I try to act confident and strong, and if I am angry, I try to remain calm and collected.  I wonder sometimes, if it would be better just to let myself go, but then I think my sons would worry.  But maybe it's good if they worry a bit.  That's human, isn't it?

Acting 11/12:  You are part of a crew on a spacecraft which is taking pilgrims from Earth to a new planet (because we wrecked the one we were on).  Which character would you choose to play:
1)  the highly intelligent, strong-willed and sophisticated captain of the ship
2)  the android who yearns to be human
3)  the ship's doctor, who is extremely emotional
4)  the only member of a lost civilization who is carrying all its culture in its head, so that it can continue on the new planet
5)  the evil alien life-force who has infiltrated the humans on the ship
6)  the ship's spiritual leader

Why do you choose the character you have chosen?  Write a brief monologue (5 to 10 lines) in which your character explains their feelings about the voyage.

Theatre Production:

As a group, measure the proscenium opening, the depth of the stage, the length of the stairwells and the large step set on stage left and then individually make a scaled drawing of the theatre.

Directing and Scriptwriting:

Choose a cast from the actors in the class for your "1st day of school" play.  Explain why you choose the actors you do.

Independent Studies:

You've both suggested that you'd like to work on lighting (and I would like you to include sound) for the "haunted house project".  Choose one of these two ideas:  Clowns or Aliens.  How might you be able to create an interactive experience for an audience based on one of these ideas?  (A page might be long enough to explain your idea.)

No comments:

Post a Comment