Saturday 11 May 2019

Our revels now have ended (again) . . .



Last night was closing night of "Comedy Tonight".  The end of the spring play is always especially sad because we know that some of our merry band are not going to be with us in November or December when we present our next show.  And of course, we've been working so hard and investing so much of ourselves in the endeavour that I always find the end of any show sad.

But I must say I also feel very proud and happy of what we have accomplished.  As Sufiah says in her director's notes, it is a great thing to be able to make people laugh and tell them a story that makes them wonder or reflect on their own lives.

Here's a little bit of philosophy from a great playwright -- George Bernard Shaw -- (the one I always talk about when I show the "ghoti" trick):

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I believe that the theatre is a mighty purpose and I certainly think most of us are thoroughly worn out today and I thank you all for being forces of nature.  It is my great privilege and joy to be able to make theatre with such a great group of young artists.

Get a good rest this weekend!  Grade 7 Fun Day is next Thursday.  We have to put together a show by then.  Rehearsals at lunch and after school every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment