Sunday 16 February 2020

Great Backyard Bird Count/Family Day


I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.  The Great Backyard Bird Count is going on.  Just take some time to sit somewhere and watch the birds -- count how many you see and send in your list to their website -- here is the address:  https://gbbc.birdcount.org

If you don't know much about birds, you can get a bird book that will help you identify what you see. Spending time in nature, bird-watching, or even just walking or sitting and breathing in the air -- they're good ways of de-stressing.

I went to see "Parasite" today.  Of course, it is the first foreign language film to win the best picture Oscar, and that is why I was interested, I guess, even though I don't expect much from the Oscars.  This was a great movie, though -- the screenplay was terrific and I was very impressed by the actors.  It was very funny and also very shocking.  I like how you end up wondering who the parasites actually are.

Tomorrow is Family Day.  I don't have anything planned.  I was hoping my sons might like to see "Parasite" with me, but they are young men and have their own activities and most of the time, those activities don't include their mother.  That's fine.  I am okay with going to a movie or anything by myself.

I just wanted to remind the Grade 9s and 10s that you should be figuring out a story you can share for Heritage Drama -- something about your family's history.  Perhaps it can be about how your family came to Canada (my grandfather came from Ukraine at the beginning of the 1900's and when they arrived in Saskatchewan, he built a church on his land before he built a house for his family -- he already had a wife and four children -- he went on to have six more children with my grandmother and then she died {my dad was her last child}.  Then he married again and had . . . fifteen more children!)  It could be about someone's first job, or a marriage or a baby being born, or a trip or an experience in a war or a family tradition and how it started -- whatever you think will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment