Monday 5 October 2020

Aargh! Update for English 12 A1

After our staff meeting, which was quite long, I popped into the staff room on my way out and left my binder with all my info about the play AND my daybook, with all my notes about class and your marks ON THE RECYCLING BIN just outside the ladies' washroom!  I called back to the school in a panic, and luckily, the binder and book were still there, but I can't do any work this evening, so that is very frustrating.  AND I have to try to remember what we did so I can update you . . . 

If I make any mistakes here, I will rectify them tomorrow!  

Firstly, continue reading 20 minutes a day and writing in your reading log.  Don't spend too much time summarizing what you've read.  The important part is to respond to what you read.  Try to push yourself to think deeply about it.  When you compare yourself to another character, you don't have to be a clone to see commonalities.  I don't have much in common with Justin Trudeau, but we are both human beings.  We both have children we love and parents we love.  We both love Canada, warts and all.  He was actually a drama teacher before he went into politics!

I would like you to write a "found" poem.  A found poem is a piece of writing that wasn't originally a poem but that has been made into a poem by the poet (in this case, YOU!)  Find a segment in The Wars that you like, or you think has power and create a poem out of it.  Obviously, it doesn't need to rhyme.  You can use phrases from different spots, like a collage, or just one section which you present as a free verse and use the way you set it up to try to send your message.  Have fun with it.  (That's an order.)

Create an outline for the story you intend to use as your bildungsroman.

Read Section 4 in The Wars.

We will do a final performance of your scenes on Wednesday.  The book reports will be presented by Aya, Tyler K. and Jack.  I think Esther will ask the question of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment