Friday 26 April 2013

A Block (Drama 8)

Journal #1:  What should Ms. Kosar know about you?  You can include experience you've had with acting, performing, public speaking, dance, etc.  Are you experiencing stage fright?  (Perfectly natural -- everyone has this to a greater or lesser extent.  Some of the really great actors have lived with stage fright, but they keep performing!  What does that say about how it feels if everything goes well?)  You could also include experiences you've had with group work or teamwork, your expectations for the class, any skills or abilities you might have that will enhance our work in Drama and any other concerns or ideas you think are important to communicate to me.

We try to do improvisation on Fridays.  Remember the first rule of improv is to ADVANCE THE SCENE.  This is what Tina Fey (the star of "30 Rock" and former performer on "Saturday Night Live") has to say about this (and please excuse the language, but I'm quoting):

"The first rule of improvisation is AGREE.  Always agree and SAY YES.  When improvising, this means you are required to agree with whatever your partner has created.  So if we're improvising and I say, "freeze!  I have a gun!" and you say, "that's not a gun.  That's your finger.  You're pointing your finger at me," our improvised scene has ground to a halt.  But if I say, "freeze!  I have a gun!" and you say, "the gun I gave you for Christmas, you bastard!" then we have started a scene because we have agreed that my finger is in fact a Christmas gun."

No comments:

Post a Comment