Saturday 1 June 2013

Two Tom Hanks movies:

There are two movies with Tom Hanks in them on tv tonight.  The first one is "Big".  It is an excellent performance by Tom Hanks (one of his best in my opinion, not having seen "Forest Gump").  He plays a child trapped in a man's body.  Most memorable for me is the "Silly String" scene and the scene at the toy company when he says "I don't get it".  Another fine performance in this movie is John Heard, who plays the mean guy who works in the toy company.  He often plays the guy who doesn't understand the sensitive person, but he is an excellent actor and his drunken scene at the party is a textbook performance for someone wanting to play someone who is drunk.  His response to the "I don't get it" scene is outstanding.

The other Tom Hanks offering is "Saving Private Ryan".  I liked this movie until the end.  It seems to be saying all along that war is senseless and that good people die and bad people survive and there is no justice when people resort to these violent actions, but then at the end of the movie, there is that rousing music and the American flag flying.  It seemed to fly in the face of the rest of the movie and I was horribly disappointed in it.  I have only seen it once, because I cannot get that last jingoistic scene out of my head.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment