Tuesday 21 January 2014

"This is the real me!"

Grade 10's and 9's:  Now it is time to reflect on the extended role play.  Thanks so much to Kelly and Hannah for having taken on the role of teacher.  You can write about the teacher or the student, whichever you like.  The rest of you should write about your character for your last journal of the semester.  How did you find playing your character?  What did you try to do?  Were you successful?  Did you find it difficult?  Easy?  Explain.  How did your interactions with other people?  Write about specific events that happened which involved other people.  You may use the character's name or the actual student's name.

I was supposed to be a bit shy but anxious to make friends.  I asked "Marcy" if she minded if I sat with her and she got up and said she had to move.  (She was supposed to be mean, so she was in character.)  It really hurt my feelings and I didn't try any more that day to sit with anyone.  That reminded me how hard it is to break in socially.  But the next day I found someone who was more willing to talk and accept me, which made me feel a lot better.

It was fun to do the improv with "Rex" and "Krystal".  "Rex" was really good as Mr. T and I tried not to be too convincing robbing the bank (I think I succeeded in performing terribly).  "Krystal" was so focused on her visions that she needed to be reminded of her part.  I was a bit scared of "Keith" when I told him there were no polar bears in Antarctica.  He gave me such a look!

I always learn something when I do the roleplay.  If I'm playing a quiet character, it's just like I said in class -- I learn how much goes on when I stop talking and look around.  I think Ryan made a good point.  The quieter people who are supposed to play characters that are talkative might find it to be quite a challenge to come up with things to say.  But the roleplay exercise is supposed to be a challenge, so you can write about that as well.

On Thursday, we will see your film scenes (Grade 10) and your tv scenes (Grade 9).  You need to know the lines.  Think of a set for your performance.  Grade 10's -- your scenes are heavily subtextual, and you need to think about what you really mean when you say every line.  Grade 9's -- pace is everything in scenes of broad comedy.  You need to have lots of energy and pick up the cues!

Grade 8's:  We will perform your fables on Thursday.  You will need to know your lines, and dress like a group, and plan your framework.  I will let you rehearse for the whole class tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment