Tuesday 8 July 2014

Type A vs. Type B

Okay, I looked up Type A personalities (and also found Type B in the Wikipedia article -- I know we trash Wikipedia, but in this sort of respect, I think it gives me what I want, which is a short pithy description of something that flitted through my brain and has flitted through a couple of times since then).  Here is Wikipedia's take on what a Type A personality is:
********************

Type A

The theory A individual as ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status-conscious, sensitive, impatient, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point, anxious, proactive, and concerned with time management. People with Type A personalities are often high-achieving "workaholics" who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines, and hate both delays and ambivalence.[4]
In his 1996 book, Type A Behavior: Its Diagnosis and Treatment, Friedman suggests that Type A behavior is expressed in three major symptoms: free-floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents; time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation usually described as being "short-fused"; and a competitive drive, which causes stress and an achievement-driven mentality. The first of these symptoms is believed to be covert and therefore less observable, while the other two are more overt. [5]

Type B

The theory describes "Type B" individuals as a contrast to those with Type A personalities. People with Type B personality by definition generally live at a lower stress level and typically work steadily, enjoying achievement but not becoming stressed when they do not achieve. When faced with competition, they do not lose their minds and either enjoy the game or back down. They may be creative and enjoy exploring ideas and concepts. They are often reflective, thinking about the outer and inner worlds.
********************************

As is often the case with personality labels like this, some of the things apply to me and some don't.  I do multi-task, of course (although scientists dispute whether it is actually possible to multi-task -- they suggest that if you think you're multi-tasking, you're probably neglecting one of the tasks to the benefit of the other), I'd say I am organized (hence the list-making) but not rigid and I am not "highly status-conscious" and I actually embrace ambivalence.  I'm not a relativist, but I do think there are a lot of grey areas, especially in the arts.  And of course, we all agree I have the patience of a SAINT.  I guess I am much more a Type B than a Type A, but the list-making certainly fits the A, as I said last time.

I have continued to make lists, which resulted in me making two phone calls, and if you know me, you know how I HATE to make phone calls, so the list making has been a good thing.  I continue to search for a job, with no success at all, to this point.   It is a bit discouraging, but then my years as an actor have prepared me for rejection -- I'm just out of practice after 20 glorious years of teaching! 

We went to a wedding on the weekend.  Remember that Mike's best friend, Colin, died last September of colon cancer?  It was his son's wedding.  It was a really lovely event and reflected the married couple's personalities beautifully.  They got married outside in a lovely grove of trees near the water and then we went into the hall for the reception and were offered ice cream bars when we first arrived and then a lovely meal and dancing and a photo booth (!) and for the midnight snack, they had McDonalds deliver cheeseburgers and McChicken burgers!  Colin knew about the engagement before he died and his wife read a letter he had written which he wanted to have read at the reception.  It was a dear sweet letter in which Colin shared his thoughts about marriage and it really felt as if he was there with us, which was what all of us wished.  You can imagine, there wasn't a dry eye in the house after the letter was read.  The bride and groom did just what Colin would have wanted -- they thought about him and missed him, but they seemed to have a terrific time at their wedding (you'd be surprised how many people don't -- it can be so stressful and exhausting) and we all wish them the very best for a long happy life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment