Saturday 26 July 2014

With my lighnin’ bolts a glowin’ I can see where I am goin’ to be when the reaper he reaches and touches my hand.

I listened to the Arcade Fire song which was on that list. (The title of this post is from the song.)  I liked it -- didn't love it.  Listen to any of David Francey's songs, especially "Skating Rink" which should be on that list (ahead of "Seasons in the Sun" (yuck!) or anything of Celine Dion's singing {does she write songs?})

Every once in a while something just strikes you, doesn't it?  Last night, when the house was very quiet and everyone had gone to bed (even Daisy, my late night companion), I realized that I probably have twenty years left to live!  (Hence the quote from Arcade Fire's song.)  That's a lot less than I have already lived, and of course, they won't be as agile or frisky as the years I've lived already, since I have developed the aches and pains of late middle age (I'm 57, and nasty people point out that few people live to be 114!) although I will hopefully be increasingly wiser as I go along.

There are a lot of things I would still like to accomplish (they say that's good if you want to keep mentally and intellectually alert).  I'd like to get one of the novels I've written published (I've finished two to my relative satisfaction, but have made little effort to see if anyone would be willing to publish either one -- I know you have to be persistent -- I'm persistent in the writing, but not the sending out part -- and I know you can self-publish somehow, but that doesn't satisfy me).  I would like to visit China (maybe when I retire, if I ever can).  I'd like to walk the West Coast Trail (maybe that's my version of the camino).  I'd like to read the entire Remembrance of Things Past (there are so many things to read and so little time).

I'm reading a lot of stuff about the camino, of course, and it is interesting that along the way, you pass a cemetery (well, several) and at the gates of one of the cemeteries it says "you are what I once was, and will be what I am now".  That's scary and terrible, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment