Monday 9 February 2015

Welcome to my parlour!

Just as we bid goodbye to the first semester, we move on to the second semester!  Welcome to all you newcomers and returnees to Drama!  I hope we'll have lots of fun and learn a lot over the next few months.  Remember, it's hard to fail Drama, but it isn't impossible and if you don't show up, that's a pretty bad situation.  You've got to be involved in your own life in order to actually live it.  Don't let the chances for new experiences pass you by.

My son has been watching "The Walking Dead" over the weekend.  You probably know all about it, but it has been quite a revelation for me.  The characters are very well drawn and I find the stories quite compelling.  I hate the zombie stuff -- the gore and the short scenes where they show the zombies eating -- they're really horrible.  And I think that there are holes in the idea of zombies -- how come they don't eat each other?  I understand they prefer fresh meat, but if they can't get it, why wouldn't they eat some other sort of meat?  They eat dead animals sometimes, don't they?  Anthony says the graphic novels are better than the tv show (I know -- you can't really compare them), but I think the tv show is pretty well written and it seems like quite a departure from most tv. 

Did you have a pleasant Family Day?  I went to the hospital to visit my husband -- he had asked for a vanilla shake, so I brought him one and he seemed to enjoy it, although he couldn't get through the whole thing (not like him at all -- he never had trouble finishing his food) and then I spent most of the day preparing for tomorrow -- back to school!  I won't dwell on it, but I must say, it is very hard to do without the company of someone on whom you've depended for many years.  I often think, "oh, I have to tell Mike this!" and then I realize that he's not here and I can't tell him.

I finally took down the Christmas stuff yesterday.  Usually I would have done it long ago, but I was waiting for Mike to come home and now it looks like that won't happen for a long time and the boys were starting to think we would never get it done.  Here's a tip for all you adolescents out there.  If you see your mother working really hard and struggling with something, don't wait to be asked -- jump up and help her.  She'll really appreciate it.  You get tired of asking for people to help and having to tell them exactly what you want them to do.

Our report cards have been delayed because we have this new computer system and it has gone down for a period of time.  I'm not sure when it will be up and running again, but if you still have work for me to mark, you might be able to slip it under the wire.  Check with me and see if you want me to mark something.

We are starting to audition for "Twelfth Night" this week, so learn the monologue I've left in the blue folder and present it with lots of energy and zip when you audition.  There are 18 speaking parts, so competition is likely to be stiff!  I am happy to say that Ms. Levin has agreed to co-direct with me.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do a second show this year with my husband's health being the way it is, but with Ms. Levin's help, I am confident we'll have a great show.  Mr. Price has created a beautiful model for a magical set and he has thought of costumes for lots of characters, too, so that's a big load off  my mind as well.   In rereading "Twelfth Night", I am really excited about it.  It is very funny and I think we'll really enjoy putting it together.

Both my sons have sports tonight, so Chauffeur Jean will be busy motoring around the Tri-cities.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment