Saturday 6 May 2017

Our revels have ended . . . again!

Shakespeare always says it so well, doesn't he?  My mom always used to say that if you heard a really good quotation and you weren't sure who said it, if you guessed Shakespeare or the Bible you'd have a 50% chance of guessing correctly.  And there is some speculation that the King James version of the Bible (which is the one I grew up on) made use of the writing talents of the poets and playwrights of the time, which would include our friend, William Shakespeare.

I just wanted to congratulate you all on a terrific show.  I am so proud of each and every one of you and all your hard work and creative energy and determination.  Let's all give Janice a big pat on the back for jumping in and doing such a great job with the new role (to her) of Prudence on closing night!  Her bravery in taking on that task helped us make our last show just as fun and charming as all the others.

As you know, this play has special meaning for me because it is my baby and I love Shakespeare so much and am so grateful to him for all the joy and beauty he has brought to my life.  I was so gratified at how all of you took on your roles and acquitted yourselves so beautifully throughout the performances and it is always such fun for me to see the growth in the characters as you work through the run of the show.

We have a great history in the theatre at Steveston-London and it is always wonderful to see our "old kids" return and hear their news.  Our tradition of great theatre is set on their shoulders and continues to be carried on with pride by all of you.

It's not quite over, even though "For My Name is Will" has breathed its last (for now).  Grade 7 Fun Day is on May 17 and we will be entertaining our future freshmen with some improv in the theatre.  If you're interested in helping out, come to the theatre at lunch on Tuesday, May 9.  In addition to that, the Fine and Performing Arts Departments are planning a celebration of the arts on June 14.  If you are interested in putting something together for that, we'll discuss that on Tuesday as well.

And with that, "parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say goodbye till it be" . . .  Monday!  (I'm not a poet and I know it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment