Monday 8 May 2017

Shakespeare for all!

Grades 9 and 10:  We will be working on Shakespeare scenes this week and here are the scenes:

M:  I have done the deed.  Didst thou not hear a noise?
LM:  I heard the owl scream and the cricket cry.
Did not you speak?
M:  When?
LM:  Now.
M:  As I descended?
LM:  Aye.
M:  Hark!  Who lies in the second chamber?
LM:  Donalbain.
M:  This is a sorry sight.
LM:  A foolish thought to say a sorry sight.

*****
A:  Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
S:  I do bite my thumb, sir.
A:  Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
S:  No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.  Do you quarrel, sir?
A:  Quarrel, sir!  No, Sir.
S:  If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you.
A:  No better.
S:  Yes, better, sir.
A:  You lie.
S:  Draw, if you be men.

*************
B:  Who's there?
F:  Nay, answer me: stand, and unfold yourself.
B:  Long live the king!
F:  Bernardo?
B:  He.
F:  You come most carefully upon your hour.
B:  'Tis now struck twelve; get thee to bed, Francisco.
F:  For this relief much thanks: 'tis bitter cold,
And I am sick at heart.
B:  Have you had quiet guard?
F:  Not a mouse stirring.

**********
I:  My noble lord-
O:  What dost thou say, Iago?
I:  Did Michael Cassio, when you woo'd my lady,
Know of your love?
O:  He did, from first to last.  Why dost thou ask?
I:  But for a satisfaction of my thought;
No further harm.
O:  Why of thy thought, Iago?
I:  I did not think he had been acquainted with her.
O:  O, yes, and went between us very oft.
I:  Indeed!
O:  Indeed! ay, indeed.  Discern't thou aught in that?
Is he not honest?
I:  Honest, my lord!
O:  Honest, ay, honest.
I:  My lord, for aught I know.

***************
O:  My lord, I have remembrances of yours,
That I have longed long to re-deliver;
I pray you, now receive them.
H:  No, not I;
I never gave you aught.
O:  My honoured lord, you know right well you did;
And, with words of so sweet breath composed
As made the things more rich.  Their perfume lost,
Take these again; for to the noble mind
Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind.
There, my lord.
H:  Ha, ha!  Are you honest?
O:  My lord?
H:  Are you fair?
O:  What means your lordship?
H:  That if you be honest and fair, your honesty should admit no discourse to your beauty . . .I did love you once.
O:  Indeed, my lord, you made me believe so.
H:  You should not have believed me; for virtue cannot so inoculate our old stock but we shall relish of it.  I loved you not.

********
C:  Charmian!
Ch:  Madam?
C:  Ha, ha!  Give me to drink mandragora!
Ch:  Why, madam?
C:  That I might sleep out this great gap of time
My Antony is away.
Ch:  You think of him too much.
C:  O, 'tis treason!
Ch:   Madam, I trust, not so.
C:  Did I, Charmian, ever love Caesar so?
Ch:  O that brave Caesar!
C:  Be choked with such another emphasis!
Ch:  The valiant Caesar!
C:  By Isis, I will give thee bloody teeth,
If thou with Caesar paragon again
My man of men.
Ch:  By your most gracious pardon,
I sing but after you.
C:  My salad days,
When I was green in judgement, cold in blood
To say as I said then!



You need to concentrate on what the actors are talking about, what each line means, and the mood of each scene!  Do at least 3 scenes!

For those of you who are away, if you use your phone at all, take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment