Sunday 13 May 2018

Happy Mother's Day

I hope you all do something nice for your moms today.  They do a lot for you!  My mom died about 15 years ago but she still sustains me to this day.  Whenever I start to feel sorry for myself, I can hear her cheerful voice telling me to count my blessings.  People suggest that one route out of depression is to keep a gratitude journal, and think about all the people who help you along the way and remember even the little things that you value in your life.  And there was my little mother encouraging me to do something like that long before the scientists and doctors had realized how helpful it was.

It is a lovely day and I woke up to a beautiful bouquet of orange and yellow and red flowers and some gifts as well which I won't open until my sons wake up.  (They're teenagers, so that will be in a while.)  I am going to go out in the backyard with my coffee and my book (American Gods by Neil Gaiman -- kind of a film noire magical realism, if you can imagine that) and then this afternoon, I'm going to the Circus at the PNE!

"R.E.D." closed on Friday night to a big and enthusiastic audience with lots of friends and family and "old kids" (great to see so many alumni stars of our little theatre in the crowd).  It was a great run and thanks to all of you who worked so hard and helped make it such a success.  If you are interested, we have one more project from the Drama Club that we must prepare and the timeline is really short -- Grade 7 Fun Day is on Thursday at about 1 in the afternoon.  If you are interested in helping out, come to the theatre at lunch on Monday.  A bunch of us brainstormed a short script we're calling "Care and Respect - the Musical" starring the children's tv host, Mr. Rogers, but there are lots of parts and lots of jobs to be done in a very short time . . . so we'll need all hands on deck for that.

Oh, I just heard a very sweet and gentle tweeting on my bird feeder and looked up and what did I see?  Two lovely grosbeaks feasting on sunflower seeds.  They are one of my favourite birds.  They are very pretty - orange breast with black and white wings and a black head, and a thick chunky beak (hence, the name).  They are the most polite birds on the feeder, not like the chickadees and the towhees who make a terrible mess.  They take one seed at a time and eat it and then select another one and do the same.  What a great sight for Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment