Saturday 16 October 2021

The Beauty of Strength Broken by Strength and Still Strong

 Just a little description of what I want you to do with this lovely poem.  (If you lost your copy or don't have it, you can find it online -- "The Lonely Land" by A.J.M. Smith.)

I think the two paintings we looked at go well with this poem and this weekend makes me think of the strength and beauty of trees.  I am looking out my window and see the different trees standing in the rain, sheltering the birds and the squirrels.  I have read a number of books lately that talk about how trees communicate with each other, through the network of fungi in the soil and through scents in the air.  They are wondrous creatures and very mysterious to me.

Anyhow, I am not a poet, so I won't try to wax poetical.

I would like you to read the poem, in the same way that you really looked at the two paintings (Varley's and Casson's).  This is called a close reading.  What images stand out for you?  I would like you to create a visual portrayal of something in the poem.  It can be the whole poem, or it can be one aspect of the poem.  It can be anything visual -- a drawing, a painting, a crayon sketch, a collage, a photograph, even a chart or a graph if your thinking tends that way (mine doesn't).  It can be abstract, if you like.  It doesn't have to look like a tree or a wild duck if you don't think that reflects your response to the poem. 

I realize that some of you feel as if you aren't artistic, but when you were a little kid, most of you probably liked to draw, so don't worry about it being wrong or right -- it's what you want to express about the poem.  Try to take some care with it and think about communicating, not about whether it looks pretty or not.  Try to enjoy the process.

Stay cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment