Tuesday 24 December 2013

Peace on earth, goodwill towards men!

I have finally finished all the hullaballoo that "has" to be done before Christmas day!  Shopping, endless shopping (and most of you know how much I love that!) and hundreds of "last minutes".  I made gingerbread today (and only burned one cookie sheet of them) and wrapped all the gifts and did my obligatory visiting and bought those last few things that were on someone's list but got left out (William's knitting needles, for example) and now tonight, we can sit down and watch "A Christmas Story" with a deep sigh!  We stay home for Christmas and open gifts and have a turkey with just us -- we'll likely be in our pajamas until dinner time comes around and then dress up in our new clothes and toast the holidays around a nice glossy turkey (yes, I can cook a turkey, very nicely, mind you!)  Mike and I will watch "Scrooge" with Alastair Sim after the young'uns are tucked away, dreaming of sugar plums (or Skittles).  My favourite part of this, one of my very favourite movies, is Michael Hordern's Jacob Marley.  He rattles his chains with such aplomb and really eats up the scenery with his performance.  What a wonderful "out there" actor!  Kathleen Harrison, as Mrs. Dilber, is also outstanding in an outstanding cast.  Scrooge gives her a gold sovereign at Christmas and she says "wha' for?" and he asks her to guess and she looks at him with great suspicion and says, "to keep me mouth shut?"  She's just lovely.

Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, it is a lovely time of year -- the darkness comes on so quickly and we have lots of time to sit together and talk and read and dream and burn a candle or two to ward off the end of the day and the end of the year. I wish you all peace and goodwill and whatever there is that makes you happy.  Perhaps, like Scrooge, we think we don't deserve it, but we should be grateful for all our bounty, whether we do or no.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment