Tuesday 3 June 2014

Fair looks and true obediance

For those of you who are finished with the role plays -- write about how you developed your own character.  What did you do as your character that was different from what you would do as yourself?  Did you find anything in common with your character?  (we should always be able to see things we share with characters we play)  What interactions did you have with other characters?  Explain anything that happened that you think I would benefit from knowing.  It is chaotic, but I think it's a great exercise and I really learn a lot from it.  Tell me what you learned.

It is not a secret that some kids are considering a walkout tomorrow.  Obviously, I can't stop you from walking out -- there is only one of me and many of you.  But think about your actions before you do anything.  I haven't walked out on these rotating strikes without a great deal of thought.  If you ask people who are on strike (including your teachers), they don't do this eagerly.  Most working people avoid going on strike at all costs.  It is scary to lose pay and it's no party to walk on a picket line and see people crossing and going in to the place where you should be working.  I understand that it is frustrating for you to face this uncertainty and miss school, but then, if you walk out, you're missing more school!  What does that say?

Ask yourself if you really understand the issues and the process.  I grew up in a very political family and we discussed our ideas and argued our different points of view and read the newspaper.  My dad had some very uncompromising opinions and so we had to be pretty well informed to be able to stand up to him.  Do you think you're well informed?  If someone from the press asked you why you are walking out, could you provide an articulate answer?  Make sure you know why you are doing what you decide to do.  Make sure you make choices that you can defend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment