Monday 16 June 2014

Hope springs eternal!

I know many of you think I am naive and overly optimistic, but what can you do?  I continue to hope that we will find a way to a deal, although it does seem quite dark at this point.  Sometimes the darkest hour is before dawn!  We teachers met today hoping to discuss the government's offer, but no offer has been forthcoming.  The BCTF made a number of concessions in our position about wages and presented a number of ideas about how to achieve our class size and composition demands, but the government countered with no ideas about class size and composition, and a lower salary offer than their last offer, so teachers are pretty disappointed by all of that.  We will be on the picket line tomorrow, instead of celebrating the last day of classes and Sharkfest.  It is a very low moment for many of us and I feel very blue about the whimper of an ending for Grade 12's especially, who will not be able to "go out with a bang"!  I wrote to Mr. Fassbender (the minister of education) and to my MLA but received two of the most disappointing responses -- they are "too busy" to read my letter at this point and hope to reply when they can.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't write when you have a concern.  If they get a deluge of letters, somebody will get through to them.  I wrote to my local paper as well about how my MLA wants my support when she runs for office, but then has no time for me when I want her support.  I hope the paper will print it, because then I might get her attention.  Look for Mr. Mikulin's latest letter in the Richmond Review.  He really expresses the teacher point of view well.

I do hope to see you all in class sometime this week.  I will be on the picket line all this week until we get a deal!  If you drive by, be sure to honk.  If you walk by, come and visit.  There are often doughnuts and other things to eat and we don't bite!  (except into the doughnuts!!)

Solidarity forever!  (An old union slogan my dad sang to me in my cradle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment