Monday 13 October 2014

Thanks for the memories . . .

That's Bob Hope's theme song.  He was a comedian and actor long ago and he was HUGE.  It's funny (funny, strange) that someone so famous and popular and talented has been almost forgotten now.  "Time's winged chariot" leaves all of us behind, I guess.

I have my turkey in and yesterday I spent the day at the theatre, loading in all the stuff for "Mama Won't Fly".  As always all the little pieces look great.  Dale Kelly, our director, said it was going to be a minimalist show, because Stage 43 has lost its rehearsal space (budget constraints) and had to get rid a lot of its cool stuff.  But we have an 18 wheeler truck, and a mini-Cooper car and a Buick (thanks for the memories of my old Buick, which is in pieces, now -- I donated it to the Kidney Foundation for parts), and a set for a Las Vegas wedding and a roadhouse bar and all sorts of wacky stuff.

In addition to getting my turkey into the oven, I am trying to put a cast together for "Fawlty Towers".  I confess I hate casting.  I wish you could all play the part you want, but of course, it doesn't work that way.  Some of you will be disappointed, but just remember that there are a lot of things for me to consider -- not just how well you auditioned, but also the idea that you need to suit the role and how busy you are and what grade you're in and all sorts of things.  If you get a smaller part, make the most of it.  Some of the people in the drama club have experienced this -- making the most of one line or even no lines!  There really is no such thing as a small part, just small actors!

And remember, there are always people who decide for whatever reason that they can't continue in the play and if you happen to be there, you might just slide into their role.  That's happened to lots of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment