Sunday 26 October 2014

The Fat Lady Has Sung!

I hope everyone had a great time at camp and now, things can get back to a semblance of normal at school.  Mr. Allison wrote a report on our schoolwide email that said that the camp went very well and that the Camp Stillwood people were impressed by our students, both young and old. 

Don't forget that it is spirit week at school this coming week.  Monday is Colour Wars (teachers are supposed to wear black, but I'm not sure about the other grades).  Tuesday is Twin Day, so find a friend or a group of friends and dress the same!  Wednesday is "Fandom Day" which I think means you should wear a jersey from a team you like or a concert t-shirt or something that shows that you admire or enjoy a particular artist's work.  Thursday is "Bright and Tight" -- anything bright and/or tight, I guess.  Friday is Hallowe'en, so wear a costume.  The teachers are having a contest among us so we will be trying to dress up ourselves.

Drama Club:  Make sure you try to make every rehearsal!  We have six weeks before we perform so we need to put our noses to the grindstone now that camp is over!

My show closed last night.  Thanks to the students and teachers that made the long trip out to the Tri-Cities to see it.  I really appreciate it enormously.  People in the cast last night asked if some of my students were in the audience (their experience is that you guys are especially good audience members, which makes my heart fill with pride!) and I said I didn't think so, because I didn't know you were there.  But at the curtain call, I spotted you and I was so happy to see you and hear your comments after the show.  It was a lot of fun to do, but for those of you who have performed in comedies, you know it is a lot of hard work, too.  There were some scenes that defeated me no matter how hard I tried to think of how to squeeze laughs out of the audience, some lines that I thought were sure fire that never got a laugh and then, of course, things that I didn't think were funny that consistently garnered a good response.  It's a mystery to me, but one that I will continue to grapple with as long as I continue to perform.  (Which, I hope to do for a long, long time!)  And now, as they say, the fat lady has sung and the party is over!  I am sad, because it's fun to go to the theatre and get dressed in your costume and have someone do your hair (I got more compliments on my hair than I ever have before thanks to Gail, the remarkable hair and makeup woman) and make your eyebrows look absolutely perfect, but it will also be nice to be able to relax on the couch in the evening and read a book.  I have a couple of books I'm really looking forward to delving into -- an Aurelio Zen mystery called Dead Lagoon and Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine, quite different in content, but both promising to be very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment