Friday 19 December 2014

Breakfast with Santa

Well, that was fun, wasn't it?  One of these days, I'm going to have figured out what to do with that silly partridge before the last minute so I can see the other acts for Breakfast with Santa.  I looked at Mr. Akselrod's pictures and everything looks so festive and high-spirited.

When I was in university, I always had a sense for exactly how long it would take me to do any sort of task (like writing papers or learning lines -- I did a drama degree, as most of you know).  I still seem to work that way.  I never seem to be able to get things done way ahead of time, no matter how good my intentions are.  It's as if my mind has to sit on an idea for a certain length of time and I can't rush it, even if I want to.  I have to wait for things to percolate.  Not that the partridge is a particularly big deal -- I don't usually feel the need to prepare a choreographed dance (and I don't believe I could, if I wanted to) like lots of the other teachers do.  That's why I have traditionally chosen the partridge -- because there is only so much you can do with just yourself.  Maybe over the course of this year, I will plan something very elaborate for next year.  But that probably won't happen.

I hope some of you read this over the holiday, because I meant to tell the directing and scriptwriting students to read a short story over the holidays that they would like to adapt into a script.  I wanted to remind the senior actors to think about a subject for their rant.  I wanted to remind Drama 9/10 to practice their monologues.  The day was so chaotic, that all this reminding slipped my mind.  Well, I guess 2015 will bring its own needs!

Now we can relax and take it easy for a couple of weeks.  I plan to watch a bunch of movies I've PVR'd and reread a book that I've read so many times I've lost count.  It is called The Blue Castle and is written by L.M. Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables.  It is not an important book and probably if many of you read it, you would think it was obvious and silly, but I find it a great comfort.  It is funny and romantic and has beautiful descriptions and vivid characters.  I suppose I could spend my time reading something more worthwhile (especially something I haven't read so many times I've practically memorized it) but sometimes, you just need a little comfort food!

No comments:

Post a Comment