Saturday 6 December 2014

Monologues

Sorry it's taken me so long to post these!

Grade 9/10 Monologues:


Peter from “Goin’ Down the Road”:

Those guys are three dummies.  I don’t get you.  When we were leaving, you couldn’t get out of the place fast enough.  Now you go on about some job in the cannery.  Oh, listen, Joey, it’s gonna be so different.  There you can get all kinds of jobs.  Not just sweat and dirt all the time . . . And the places to go;  we’re gonna hit some night spots, have us some good times!  No sitting in some restaurant all night or cruising up and down main street, looking for something you know damn well isn’t there . . . Joey, there’s going to be so much there, we won’t know where to begin.

Ruthie from “Distended Ear Lobes”:

Well, it isn’t exactly that he doesn’t interest me anymore.  It’s that I’m not quite sure of the chemistry.  Before it was all chemistry, and I didn’t even think about whether he interested me.  Now the chemistry is deluded and I’ve had time to consider whether or not he interests me, I mean as a person, that is.

Anyhow, whether it’s going anywhere or not, I’m having lunch with him because – now promise me not to get hysterical – he’s been looking into the Peace Corps and I’m thinking about joining up with him.  I hate my job in the office and if you’ll pardon the cliché, I want to do something worthwhile.

Senior Drama monologues:


Tom: 

Listen!  You think I’m crazy about the warehouse?  You think I’m in love with the Continental Shoemakers?  You think I want to spend fifty-five years down there in that  -- celotex interior!  with fluorescent – tubes!  Look!  I’d rather somebody picked up a crowbar and battered out my brains – than go back mornings!  I go!  Every time you come in yelling “Rise and shine!”  “Rise and shine!” I say to myself, “How lucky dead  people are!”  But I get up.  I go!  For sixty-five dollars a month I give up all that I dream of doing and being ever!  And you say self – self’s all I ever think of.  Why, listen, if self is what I thought of, Mother, I’d be where he is – GONE!  (HE POINTS TO HIS FATHER’S PICTURE.)  As far as the system of transportation reaches!  Don’t grab at me, Mother!  I’m going to the movies!  I’m going to opium dens!  Yes, opium dens, dens of vice and criminals’ hangouts, Mother.  They call me Killer, Killer Wingfield.

Laura:

I came across his picture a while ago.  It’s in the yearbook.  His name was Jim.  Here he is in “The Pirates of Penzance”.  The operetta the senior class put on.  He had a wonderful voice and we sat across the aisle from each other Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in the Aud. 

He used to call me – Blue Roses.

When I had that attack of pleurosis – he asked me what was the matter when I came back.  I said pleurosis – he thought I said Blue Roses!  So that’s what he always called me after that.  Whenever he saw me, he’d holler, “Hello, Blue Roses!”  I didn’t care for the girl that he went out with.  Emily Meisenbach.  Emily was the best-dressed girl at Soldan.  She never struck me, though, as being sincere . . . It says in the Personal Section – they’re engaged.  That’s – six years ago.  They must be married by now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment