Sunday 16 April 2017

Spring is like a perhaps hand

I hope you're all having a happy Easter holiday.  Today has been a lovely day.  We went to a Easter party which really benefited from the good weather.  We sat outside and the kids had an Easter egg hunt and the hostess had a petting zoo with goats and chickens and rabbits -- all very cute.  It was really nice.

Our walks in the park have been good, too.  On Friday, we saw two mergansers -- one with the great elaborate ruddy crest.  The trees are finally showing some buds and my crocuses have come and gone.  Next will be the lilies of the valley, which I transplanted from my mom's garden in Saskatchewan to here.  I always think of her when I see the green curly heads of the plants poking up out of the spring soil.

I saw the horror movie "Get Out" last night.  I thought it was great to begin with but I found the ending too trite for me to give it a complete thumbs up.  It had a great deal of promise.  It starts with a young white woman who is planning to take her black boyfriend to visit at her parents' country home for the weekend.  He is nervous and asks if she's told her parents that he's black but she is very dismissive.  When he gets there people are acting rather strangely and he feels increasingly uncomfortable until he wants to go.  This is where the movie breaks down, because what happens at the end is very much a cliche and I wish that Jordan Peele could have thought of something a bit more creative.  I've been thinking about how it could have ended and have fulfilled its early promise.  I think they should have used more of Lil Rel Howery, who played Chris's (the main character) best friend.

I haven't said much here about Donald Trump -- I think I have mentioned that I am poring over the news obsessively -- I have a new subscription to the New York Times and the Guardian and I am actually watching a lot of tv news, too.  It's probably likely that you realize that Donald Trump is not my kind of guy and the world is a scary place, as is evidenced by the place we find him, but here in Canada, on a nice Easter weekend, things seem pretty peaceful and hopeful.  I wish we could bottle what we have and export it all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment