Wednesday 1 July 2020

Happy Canada Day!

I hope you are having a nice safe Canada Day.  I always put up our Canadian flag (my son says the leaf is stupid, but I like that we have a leaf on our flag) and usually we go to the firefighters' pancake breakfast but of course, this year it is different.  I think the rain has helped inspire people to stay home which is good.  We can't get over confident and think that we've dealt with the virus and don't need to worry any more.

The public library is having a "space-opoly" contest.  You get a board like Monopoly and you make your own die and roll the die and read the kind of book described on the spot you land.  I landed on a spot that said to read a book from an author you have never tried.  I read Milkman by Anna Burns.  It is a very strange dystopian book about "middle sister" and how she is being stalked by Milkman and her relationship with maybe boyfriend and real milkman and third brother-in-law with whom she runs.  Now I am on a square that says read the first book of a series.  I have a book on hold called A Rising Man by Abir Mukherjee.  It is a mystery set in India and I will pick it up tomorrow -- I am looking forward to it -- I am very fond of mysteries.  I think you can download the game if you are interested.  You can go to the Port Moody Public Library website and there is the board and everything you need.  It might get you to read things that you wouldn't normally choose.

One thing we're lucky to enjoy in Canada is our access to the natural world so here is a link to information about the living things that live only in Canada.  Of course, even the animals who aren't rare are amazing -- I've been watching baby chickadees figuring out how to access my bird feeder and they are so cute and funny.  Here's the link:  https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/these-animals-and-plants-are-found-only-in-canada

We are very lucky to live here but I do think we have a responsibility to take care of our home and be good citizens.  Let's make sure our communities are respectful and that we care about each other and do our best to ensure that we continue to enjoy our safe and tolerant society.

No comments:

Post a Comment