Thursday 1 May 2014

Dynamite!

Journal Day tomorrow:

For all classes:  If you are able to see "The Wars of 1812", write about one specific aspect of the production and the effect it had on you.  You can write about one performance, or the music, or one scene, or one relationship, or even one speech.  I think I'd write about Damien's speech about how he struggles with his job.  From his perspective at that point in the play, it's a heart-wrenching struggle and he derives no joy from it at all.  But perhaps if you asked him after he and Vanessa worked on "Rose in Montreal", he might have had a different perspective.  I find that speech really expresses my struggles as a director.  I love working on a play and I love the theatre, but the nuts and bolts of putting a show together are really daunting.  There are so many tasks that are so difficult, from casting to organization to the technological parts to working with all the different personalities.  But in the end, if you're lucky enough to have a group like we have in the Steveston-London Drama Club, you finish with a feeling of true accomplishment and satisfaction.

If, for some reason, you aren't able to attend the play, write about another play you've seen.  Tell the name of the play and where you saw it, and then choose one aspect of it to write about.  I want you to be as specific as possible.  I would prefer that it be a school play.

If you are in the play,  you can write about it from your perspective, but I would still like you to choose something specific.  (Like what you do in a certain scene, or another performer you admire, or a scene you like).

No comments:

Post a Comment