Sunday 25 May 2014

that perilous stuff that weighs upon the heart

We've had some pretty serious challenges health-wise in our family lately, but it feels like we're on the way in the right direction now, and it makes me think how important it is to take care of ourselves and try to live a healthy life.  I'm reading a book right now about the history of cancer called The Emperor of All Maladies and it's really fascinating how treatments for cancer have evolved over time.  Can you imagine having surgery without an anesthetic and without antibiotics to fight infection afterwards?  But people lived (or died) through that.  The part I'm reading now is about prevention, which is obviously the best route to go if you don't want to get sick in the first place.   Sometimes it seems as if everything causes cancer, but there are some really clear carcinogens.  As far as lung cancer goes, smoking is such a scourge.  I'm so glad that many of us have gotten that message -- there are fewer and fewer people smoking these days and so the rate of lung cancer has really dropped.  And you can never go wrong by eating good nutritious food and getting lots of exercise.

I hope I'll be back to school tomorrow, but if I'm not, here's what you will be doing.  Grades 11/12s -- you'll be working on your one act plays.  I would like to set a date to perform them and invite people to see them.  I hope we'll be able to do one evening, but that might not be possible with job action (not clear on that yet), so if we can't we'll do it during class time and invite other classes.  Make sure you are ready to perform your monologue as soon as possible.  The people who've already gone have set the bar pretty high.

Grade 9's -- you're going to start working on your tv scripts.  I have scenes from the YTV show, "Mr. Young" for you to work on.

Grade 8's -- you're going to start working on a myth from Uganda about the creation of the world.  The handout is on my desk.  Remember, it's always good to include what you've already learned - mime, tableau, choral speaking, attention to the stage picture, projecting your voice.  If I'm not there, those of you who have agreed to do your "show and tell" speeches can do them for the TOC.

I hope I'll see you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment