Wednesday 1 July 2015

Canada is boring!

I read this today, on Canada Day, and the commentator, Jeet Heer (a culture observer on CBC's "q" show) says that our boringness is "deliberate".  I've heard people say this before and have thought it myself from time to time.  You think perhaps that Canada is a country with all the "boring" virtues.  We're safe and secure (for now).  The country has a lot of its natural beauty intact (because our population is so small).  We get along in comparison with lots of other countries.  We enjoy relative prosperity.  Here in Port Moody, when you pass someone in the street, you often say "hello".  Our crime rate is relatively low.  Culturally, we don't seem to have any huge movers and shakers (except in the literary world).  People have to leave here to make it big.

But they say that you pay for your experiences, and I know that's true.  If you want excitement, you have to take the scary part of it along with the thrilling part.  At this stage in my life, I think I will choose to limit my excitement and enjoy the peace and quiet of living in a "boring" place.

No comments:

Post a Comment