Tuesday 18 February 2014

Trust a woman's instinct!


“I would rather trust a woman's instinct than a man's reason.”
Stanley Baldwin
 
Stanley Baldwin was a British prime minister.  In this case, I'm using his quote not because I dispute the power of rational thought, but because sometimes instinct is all you have.  It has been a tough day because the day the cast list comes out is always tough.  Some people are happy, but usually more people aren't.  I hate it, because I don't want any of you to be sad or disappointed.  Some people say high school is a place that prepares you for the harshness of the real world, but I want it to be a place where you are still safe to be a kid. 
 
I know lots of you were hoping you'd get a bigger part, but really hold that talisman to your heart -- "there is no such thing as a small part, just small actors".  Take what you get and run with it.  You can work miracles on stage and so you can make your character, however small or large, live for the people who come to watch the show.  You need to trust me.  I know it is hard to trust people.  They might betray you.  They might disappoint you.  They might hurt you.  But you have to trust them.  Otherwise, you might live your life in fear and suspicion.
 
I take my role as a teacher really seriously.  When I sometimes say I'm not your friend, it is because, as your teacher, I feel like my responsibility reaches further.  I want you to embrace your opportunities and learn things and have experiences here at school that you might never have again.  Being on stage is one of those experiences.  For me, being on stage has been one of the great things in my life.  It can be scary.  It can be exhilarating.  It can shine a light on things you haven't considered before.  It can make you feel powerful.  It can make you feel very small or like a giant.  I can't play any sports with skill, but I think it must be like when you play sports -- you feel like you might be able to do anything. 
 
I have confidence in all of you.  I want all of you to be great in the play and have a wonderful time rehearsing and performing.  Most of you know how great it is to create a character and perform a play for people who'll laugh and be surprised and maybe shocked and maybe educated by what we do and say.  For those of you who haven't done it before, "hold onto your hats!  We're in for a bumpy, [but exciting] ride!  (That's my hero, the great Bette Davis!)

No comments:

Post a Comment