Sunday 2 March 2014

Warhorse

Have you seen the movie "Warhorse" about a horse in World War I?  I saw it today.  It was great, in my opinion.  Of course, movies about animals are always tear-jerkers and this is about animals serving in war, and World War I was notoriously horrible and bloody and wasteful in so many awful ways, especially since they were all at it again in twenty years. 

I have never had anything to do with a horse and I'm a little afraid of them, because they are very big and strong and they could really hurt you, I think.  But they are so strikingly beautiful and it is quite remarkable how trainers can get horses and other animals to perform, to "act", although I don't think they really could understand what is going on as far as pretending or anything.

It seems shocking that the armies of Europe used horses in cavalry charges in World War I.  Horses running into machine gun fire.  But apparently that is what happened.  It really expresses the horrific waste of that war and the incomprehensibility of using war to settle international disputes.  One would hope in the 21st century that we could figure out something else.  We haven't yet, but we have to hope.

Hope you all had a great long weekend.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment