Monday 11 January 2016

Resolutions ticked!

So far so good on the resolution front.

I bought a car on Saturday.  I got a Honda Fit and it was gruelling to go through the purchase thing, but now it is done and I have the car and said goodbye to my little old Dodge Caravan (which was a good soldier for a while -- it's funny how you get attached to a thing and feel bad when you drive away and leave it in the parking lot of the car dealership).  I don't know why buying a car has to be so miserable.  You have to sit there and jockey for position with the salesperson and wonder if you're getting a good deal or not.  I hope I did, but I guess there's no point in thinking about it now.  What's done is done.

Everyone is talking about David Bowie's death.  Last week he released his last album and there was no news about him being sick. They've been playing his music on the radio ever since his death was announced, especially "Changes".
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch-changes
Don't want to be a richer man
Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch-changes
Just gonna have to be a different man
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
And "Ziggy Stardust".  Great stuff.  He wasn't afraid to do what he wanted and damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead.  A real artist.

I watched a short bit of the Golden Globe awards last night.  All those glamorous people either getting awards or not getting them.  I don't envy them the fame.  Not even the fortune.  But it must be nice to do great, challenging work that you think is important and worthwhile.  Well, now, to think of it . . . it is great!  I  find my work as a teacher to be great and challenging and important and worthwhile!  And the other stuff . . . shilling to get people to hire you to be in a play or movie or tv show,  schmoozing, having to get all dressed up and have people sneer at your outfit?  Well, they can have that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment