Monday 25 January 2016

The quieter you become, the more you can hear

I don't know who said that, but it is true.  When I play a quiet person in the semester end role play, I always discover how much is going on that I don't notice the rest of the time.  It takes a lot of energy for me to be quiet, though, and oftentimes I can't do it.  My mouth just takes over!

I think people like Donald Trump and Sarah Palin could stand to listen a bit more and not necessarily to the people they're listening to now.  I know that Obama has not delivered on the hope and the promises he offered at the beginning of his tenure (and the reasons for that can be discussed ad infinitum), but pandering to people's fears and hatreds is a terrible way to try to lead them.  I think we can all think of past world leaders who have done that and what has happened as a result.

Here at home, in our peaceful little corner of the world, it is exam week and the end of the semester.  I would like to say to all my students from first semester, that I thoroughly enjoyed your classes and that it was a great pleasure for me to get to know you and work with you and I hope to see many of you back in the theatre in September.  (Not the grade 12's, though -- you guys just go out into the world and hit metaphorical home runs all over the place!)

David did a great job of casting the play and everyone has something fun to do!  I am looking forward to seeing the drama club work on it.  It is especially exciting to work on a new play WITH THE AUTHOR, because you can ask why things happen the way they do and really help bring their vision to life!  If you are still interested in helping backstage, just let me know and I'll add you to the list!

I have office hours in the theatre every day from 10:30 to 12:30, so if you have any work that you haven't done, drop in and give it to me.  On Tuesday, I might be late (like at about 10:45) because I altered my exam supervision slightly to help another teacher out.  But if you want to hand in your journal, you can come in and put it on my desk or come to the Legends Gym North to see me.  Have a great second semester everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment