Tuesday 26 January 2016

Joy, Caution and Reasonable Wishing

Words to live by.  An alumnus of Steveston-London directed me yesterday to the Stoic philosophers and I went back and reread some of what I vaguely remembered.  We think that Stoics are unfeeling, but that isn't the case.  I think their rational approach to human emotion has a lot of appeal.   It isn't the outside stimulus that is horrendous, it's our reaction to it.  I heard someone on the radio a couple of weeks ago talking about a new book that explores how the Stoic philosophy could help us in these troubled times, and I think I will search it out and read it.

I am going to a funeral on Thursday, so I won't be here for my office hours.  If you have work for me, you can leave it in the box outside the theatre door.  If you want to present something, just email me and we can figure out a time next week, if you can't come in before Thursday.  I will post a sign on the door to give everyone the heads up.

No comments:

Post a Comment