Saturday 19 September 2020

Drama Club updates!

 Hi everybody,

I just wanted to post an update on the fall production of "Spoon River Anthology".  I  would like to have a Zoom meeting on Thursday, September 24 at 6 p.m. (for about 30 minutes), with people who are interested in working "backstage".  There are a number of things to do, even though we won't need lighting and sound people or the normal things, like painting, etc.  We will need someone to do some research on period costumes, someone to film monologues and edit them together, someone to find and create a soundtrack, stage managers to organize meetings and contact people, and all sorts of other things that will come up as we go along.  If you would like to attend the meeting, let me know and I'll send you the link.

If you are interested in performing and are a student at SLSS now, I will post a short audition piece here on Monday and we will hold live or filmed auditions on October 1st and 2nd.  You can come to the theatre at lunch or after school and audition or you could send me a film of you doing the assigned monologue.  I would like a couple of the people who said they would help backstage to watch the auditions with me to help me with casting.

If you are an alumni and have said you are willing to perform, I will contact you with your role.  If you are familiar with the story, you can let me know if there is a particular character you are interested in playing.  There are 212 characters, so there are lots to choose from!  I really appreciate those of you who have said you will take this on.  I know you are all really busy with school and work and life, but it is great to hear from you and know that you want to help us out in these difficult times. 

My vision is kind of like this.  The "audience" will find itself at the gates of the cemetery.


The gate will open and the "audience" will walk into the cemetery, while the opening poem is being said (by all of you!)  The "audience" will look around at all the graves. 


I am hoping that your various videos can somehow waft up from the headstones as the stories unfold.  (Film experts?  Is that possible?)

I would like to have the sense of exploring the cemetery while the speeches are presented.


Some peaceful sounding music to accompany the walk would be lovely.  I know some of you write music.  Do you have anything you think might be appropriate?

That's all for now.  I am looking forward to learning a lot of new things through this project and also at the prospect of continuing the storied career of the SLSS Drama Club.  All the world's a stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment