Saturday 26 September 2020

Grammar lesson on the weekend -- English 12

 I am marking some of your writing and just want to remind all of you to proof read carefully.  Especially make sure that you watch for the things we've talked about already -- comma splices, run on sentences, agreement of subject and verb and consistent verb tenses!  If you are still unsure about how to write dialogue, make sure you check out the lesson I posted here.

Here is today's grammar lesson:

When you are listing things, all the items in the list should be written in the same form.

These are the things the squirrel did on my balcony:  ate the nuts I left for him, ran along the railing, and sat on the arm of the chair.  

Notice that each item starts with an active verb.

This would be an incorrect way of writing the same thought:

These are the things the squirrel did on my balcony: eating the nuts I left for him, ran along the railing and he sat on the arm of the chair.

Do you see the difference?


No comments:

Post a Comment