Sunday 20 September 2020

"I sank into the grave". Spoon River Anthology

 Drama Club:

As I said, if you are interested in performing in the SLSS Drama Club's fall performance, you can audition on October 1 and 2.  

INSTRUCTIONS:  If you have never auditioned for a play before, here are the instructions:  you should memorize one of the following monologues and when you say it, you should speak loudly and clearly and use lots of expression.  Try to think about what the character is saying, how they feel and how the audience should feel when they hear the monologue.  If you are interested in performing, I will make sure you get a part, but it might not be the biggest part.  Remember, there is no such thing as a small part, just small actors!

Usually we hold auditions in the theatre over the course of several days, but of course, this year, we have to do things differently.  You may come to the theatre at lunch or after school on October 1 or 2, or you can send me a video of your monologue to my email. 

Alumni:  Once we've cast the students, I will send you an email with your character and speech.

Monologues:

OLLIE McGEE

Have you seen walking through the village

A man with downcast eyes and haggard face?

That is my husband who, by secret cruelty

Never to be told, robbed me of my youth and my beauty;

Till at last, wrinkled and with yellow teeth,

And with broken pride and shameful humility,

I sank into the grave.

But what think you gnaws at my husband's heart?

The face of what I was, the face of what he made me!

These are driving him to the place where I lie.

In death, therefore, I am avenged.

FLETCHER McGEE

She took my strength by minutes,

She took my life by hours,

She drained me like a fevered moon

That saps the spinning world.

The days went by like shadows,

The minutes wheeled like stars.

She took the pity from my heart,

And made it into smiles.  . . .

I beat the windows, shook the bolts.

I hid me in a corner--

And then she died and haunted me,

And hunted me for life.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment