Thursday 7 May 2020

Authority belongs to the artist!

Reminder:  Sunday is Mother's Day.  Do something nice for your mom!

Monday is the first day of Spirit Week -- have some fun in the sun!  (Send me a picture of it, and get a bonus mark!)

Question of the day:

Grade 8's, you've seen this before.  Others, take a look at Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain".

https://images.app.goo.gl/ZyhWfKAnq2c3NDTB6

It is one of his famous "readymade" pieces.  This is what he said about it.  "Whether Mr. Mutt [you can see it is signed by "R. Mutt", an alter ego of Duchamp] with his own hands made the fountain has no importance.  He CHOSE it.  He took an ordinary article of life, placed it so that its useful significance disappeared under the new title and point of view -- and created a new thought for that object."

The question is "is it art?"  Explain.

Warm-up (Art and Theatre Production):  (Mandatory!) Theatre Production, this is exactly what you are supposed to do!  Take something in the house and turn it into something else!  Art students, we are going to try to look at things a bit differently, like Duchamp did.

Find something in your house or yard and reimagine it (like turn it upside down, like Duchamp did with the urinal) and name it (like Duchamp did by calling the urinal a "fountain").  Theatre production, tell me the item you chose and how you would present it and what you would call it.  The name can be funny or provocative (like Duchamp's).  My favourite "readymade" of Duchamp's is a snow shovel which he named "Advance of Broken Arm".  Send me your answer by email.

Art students, draw or describe your item (in words) in your sketchbook.  The name can be funny or provocative (like Duchamp's).  Repeating what I said in the previous pararaph, my favourite "readymade" of Duchamp's is a snow shovel which he named "Advance of Broken Arm".  Mandatory -- put this in your sketchbook!

Warmup - Drama 9/10:  Say our Shakespeare passage out loud ("speak the speech").  Read the monologue I gave you out loud (I have attached it).

Peter from “Goin’ Down the Road”:

Those guys are three dummies.  I don’t get you.  When we were leaving, you couldn’t get out of the place fast enough.  Now you go on about some job in the cannery.  Oh, listen, Joey, it’s gonna be so different.  There you can get all kinds of jobs.  Not just sweat and dirt all the time . . . And the places to go;  we’re gonna hit some night spots, have us some good times!  No sitting in some restaurant all night or cruising up and down main street, looking for something you know damn well isn’t there . . . Joey, there’s going to be so much there, we won’t know where to begin.

Ruthie from “Distended Ear Lobes”:

Well, it isn’t exactly that he doesn’t interest me anymore.  It’s that I’m not quite sure of the chemistry.  Before it was all chemistry, and I didn’t even think about whether he interested me.  Now the chemistry is deluded and I’ve had time to consider whether or not he interests me, I mean as a person, that is.


Anyhow, whether it’s going anywhere or not, I’m having lunch with him because – now promise me not to get hysterical – he’s been looking into the Peace Corps and I’m thinking about joining up with him.  I hate my job in the office and if you’ll pardon the cliché, I want to do something worthwhile.

Use lots of expression in your voice and be careful to focus on breathing and diction.  This is a vocal warm-up.

Lessons:
Theatre Production:  By Monday, tell me the play you've chosen and the prop you will create.
Drama 9/10:  Get in touch with your heritage group.  Choose your third story.  Brainstorm ideas for presenting it.  Due May 14.
Art:  Draw a rectangle 8 cm x 5 cm.  Put two dots anywhere inside the rectangle.  Measure out notches along the edges of the rectangle at even intervals.  Fill in any of the areas formed by joining the dots and notches -- just use a pencil.  No colour!   Take about 20 minutes (or so) to do this.  It should appear in your sketchbook.





No comments:

Post a Comment