Sunday 31 May 2020

Back to school for some!

I know some of you are going to school today and I wish you the best on your return to SLSS!  Make sure you follow the rules and keep two metres away from other people.  Bring your own stuff and make the best of your time at school.  I'll be there on Tuesday.

Question of the Day:  I expect most of you have seen the news about what has happened and is happening in the United States.  Martin Luther King Jr. said, "the riot is the language of the unheard."  What do you think of that?  When I saw the horrible video of George Floyd being killed, I heard passersby asking the police to let him up and telling them that he was a human being.  It is hard to see a person being treated like that by people who are supposed to uphold the law.  I thought what would I do in that situation?  My first thought was I would call the police, but of course, in this case, the police are the criminals!  What could you do?

Warmup:
Everyone:  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/28/arts/design/thomas-eakins-gross-clinic.html?
This is a link to a great article in the New York Times which shows a painting by Thomas Eakins called "The Gross Clinic" (the doctor in the painting is named "Gross").  The writer walks us through this dramatic painting and teaches us about composition, the use of detail, metaphor, staging, character and colour.  As artists, we can all learn a lot from this great work.  Follow along and look at the things Jason Farago points out.  If you just glance at a picture and say, "oh, that's nice" or whatever, you don't notice all the fascinating details that help tell the story.

Lesson:
Drama 9/10:  Your monologues are due.  You can send me a video recording of you performing it (remember to use lots of expression, think about gestures and wear a costume you think expresses the character) or you can perform live.  I will begin the live performances at 1 p.m. with a Zoom.  You will perform only for me.  The rest of the people will wait their turn in the waiting room.  If you want to do it live, send me an email before 12:30 p.m.
Theatre Production 11:  In the period you've chosen to research, think of how they would use light and sound to create the spectacle of theatre.
Art 8:  Remember when we explored textures with our pencils -- we did what they call "rubbings" putting something textured under the paper and colouring over it with our pencil.  Today and tomorrow, experiment with texture using paint.  Use your brush in a variety of ways to see what textures you can create.  Use a different colour for each small rectangle of texture.


No comments:

Post a Comment