Thursday 9 April 2020

Spring is like a perhaps hand . . .


Teach me half the gladness
That thy brain must know,
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then -- as I am listening now.
--Percy Bysshe Shelley, "To a Skylark"

A character in a book I love (Mr. Carpenter in Emily of New Moon) says spring is responsible for a lot of bad poetry.  Who can listen to a bird singing out the divine rapture of its little heart and not want to feel that same wild joy that it is expressing?

If we were at school now, we would be getting close to the end of the day and all of us would feel excited and full of anticipation for a long weekend away from hard work and drudgery and getting up in the morning.  This has been a strange week -- kind of lonesome for me -- but I've really enjoyed our emails and I hope to receive more over the next few days.

On Tuesday, we'll be back at it.  Get up ready for another week and make sure you check the blog.  Have a wonderful four days off!  Listen to the birds sing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment