Monday 8 June 2020

Let life happen to you. Believe me, life is in the right, always. (Rainer Maria Rilke)

Question of the Day:  Do you like amusement parks?  If you don't, where would you go to have fun?  If you do, what's your favourite part of an amusement park?  I am not particularly fond of amusement parks, but my family went to Disneyland and I did enjoy it.  I don't like rides very much, but I liked all the sights and sounds and the pirate island and the different streets and the parade and there was a play in the old west saloon (I don't know the names of any of the things, I'm afraid.)  I would actually prefer to go to a real place like New Orleans or Paris than a place that tries to recreate it.  ( Drama students:  Think about how your character would answer this question.)

Warm-up:
(Everyone)
I wonder how many of you have heard of the British artist, Banksy.  He is a mysterious person -- almost no one knows who he actually is and much of his art just appears on walls -- like graffiti.  He is provocative and makes social commentary and gets people thinking and makes them angry.

He created this alternative theme park called "Dismaland" and got other artists to create art installations in Somerset, in England.  Some of it looks a bit like Disneyland, but with a "sinister twist" and Banksy called it a "bemusement park".  (It was an art installation, so it's not there any more.)

There is a lot of information online about the art installation if you google it.  There are several videos.  Banksy and the other artists are trying to make viewers think with displays of oil soaked birds and refugees crammed into small boats and the violence of a Punch and Judy show and a city empty of everyone except police.

What do you think?

Lesson:
Art 8:  The last two elements of art (do you remember the other five?) are form and space.  Form refers to three dimensional shapes.  We made use of form and space when we created tableaus.

Today, I want you to pull out the plant or leaf or flower that you pressed and mount it on the wash you prepared for it.  Take a picture of it and send it to me.


Drama 9/10:
Read your Shakespeare scene out loud five times.  Do both parts.  Does anyone have a suggestion for how we can perform these?  Make sure you let me know which one you want to perform.

Theatre Production 11:  You will share your theatre history project with the class.  You might want to think about what you could talk about for two or three minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I do like amusement parks, I have only been to Disneyland once when I was very young so I don't remember it. But I love to learn about how they do the design of the attractions and things, set dressing for restaurants and ride buildings. They put a lot of work into making things look really authentic, for example in the Expedition Everest ride they built a small village that looked like it was hundreds of years old for visitors to walk through (they had to age it to make it look that old) and they went to several Himalayan villages and learned about their culture. They also asked to buy peoples' egg baskets and nails and cabinets and art to make the whole thing as authentic as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't you rather go to Mount Everest itself? This has made me think of a good question of the day!

    ReplyDelete